After receiving a PhD in Genetics from Università di Pavia in Italy and 15 years of research activities with the CNRS in Molecular Biology, I moved to Paris in September 2005 where I continued my scientific activities, while at the same time, dedicating myself to painting. I undertook an internship painting living models at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris and regularly attended the workshops of the Grande Chaumière. In September 2008, I returned to Milan and after a painting and drawing course at the Accademia di Brera School of Fine Arts, I decided to devote myself full-time to the role of artist painter.
I have always been fascinated by the magic of water and the power of the sea that I have observed since my childhood and which remains my first source of inspiration. Through different approaches, I have developed a style based almost entirely on this quasi-existential attachment to the element of water. Whether on canvas, linen, oil or acrylic, my painting style is based around the symbolism of water in transporting the viewer to the infinite world of universal sensations and suspended moments. Using colour and strokes, both strong or soft, I try to plunge into a dreamlike, almost magnetic world where bodies go beyond their simple material form to join the world of free spirits unshackled from the constraints of time.
The energy of the salt water sea, with its transparencies and its depths that temper me always, along with the softness of the crystalline water of natural torrents, which I discovered after a trip to the mountains in Corsica, inspired the series of oil paintings entitled “Rencontres“. This series depicts the encounter of bodies swimming and floating on the water. Human beings are represented here as an integral part of nature, they intersect and blend freely with the water and seem as if carried along by a long, quiet dream. Through the colour and movement of the strokes, I try to express the magic of a return to the Matrix and surrendering oneself to the forces of this world.
This idea of an intimate experience and return to the matrix is also found in the series of paintings entitled “Blu Risonanze“. Prisoners of an urban pool, the bodies represented in this series find their freedom and their salvation in the movement of water. Thanks to the energy of the strokes and the blue colours that dominate the paintings, the forms harmonize with one another and the water, finally attaining their inner freedom. Blue radiates resonances, and in the deep blue, they amplify and dissolve gently, like a distant echo that reverberates in the soul. The use of blue, in all its nuances, is justified in its ability to take us away from the context of real and attracts us to infinity.
The traces of foam that the waves leave on the sand of the shore inspired the series of paintings entitled “La memoria del bianco“, created using only white on a natural linen canvas. My inspiration is that the foam of the waves is a Matrix of white where landscapes, real and ethereal, take on strength and form. These landscapes are projected onto a timeless dimension, between figuration and abstraction, without points of reference. White, through its varied movements, its strong and fanciful strokes, leaves a powerful but ephemeral memory in the sand. In these landscapes, I sometimes insert bodies that emerge and mix with the arabesques drawn by the foam. They are beings suspended in a moment of appeasement, abandonment, ecstasy, which seem to take their intimate energy from the water that forges them. They are in perfect harmony with the white waves of the sea, which lulls them and envelops them, hides them and reveals them all at the same time, in the lyrical evocation of the purity of an ancestral world.
The water in these paintings has a symbolic value that the colour white manages to freeze in all its immediate power. It brings us back to an intimate experience, the stages of our existence and the dreams that nourish it. Through this work, I try to explore the evocative power of white and its ability to push us across the border between reality and imagination: the white of the waves appears as a symbol of a world where all the colours have disappeared, an absolute and impassable silence.
In the series of paintings entitled Oltre l’aria … oltre l’acqua, I develop a work on wind, water and bodies in an attempt to meld these elements through the dynamism of the strokes to reach a new force of expression. Thanks to the movement of the wind and currents, the seawater is represented as a powerful matrix of pure colour and intense light, giving life to beings. The bodies, enveloped by air and water, are caught up in a kind of dance along a path dug through the waves, symbolizing the cycle of life.
In other works, the rhythm of the mistral and the “libeccio” (the southwest wind), the air, the water and the sand weave the framework on which seascapes take shape outside the scope of time.
- Diploma of honor for “Rencontres”, finalist in the painting category at the ARTE 2016 prize, XXV, (Mondadori Books).
- Artist of the month of April 2017, ArtGallery, www.associazioneartgallery.org, via Orseolo 3, 20144 Milano
- La memoria dell’acqua, 21 October-7 November 2015, Galleria Blanchaert, Vago-Edra showroom, via Crocefisso 27, Milan
- Across water: la clef de l’eau, 28 May- 27 June 2015, Galerie Double S, 15 rue Guénégaud, 75006 Paris
- La memoria del Bianco,6-27 January 2015, Galerie Lee, 9 rue Visconti, 75006 Paris
- Blu risonanze, 6-15 September 2014, Galerie Etienne de Causans, 25 rue de Seine, 75006 Paris
- 14-24 June 2018, Art’présent, Eglise St. Saturnin, Galerie Francois Pompon, Hotel de la Poste, Saulieu, Borgogna France.
- 19 May – 3June 2018, FORMAE, (La forma dell’acqua -Rossella Rossi, La forma del colore – DominiqueJoyeux, La forma dell’animo umano – Carlo Pazzaglia), Contemporary Art Exhibition during 2018 “SensArt” show by TCM (Tablinum Cultural Management), (with the support of Mibact), Palazzo Reale, Genova, Italy.
- 18-31 January 2018, Galerie beauté du matin calme, 54 avenue de la Motte-Picquet, 75015 Paris
- 13-17 December 2017, Art en fete, Contemporary Art Exhibition, Eglise Saint Pierre, Senlis (Francia)
- 21 september-2 october, Osmose, Galerie beauté du matin calme, 54 avenue de la Motte-Picquet, 75015 Paris)
- 23-25 June 2017, Société des Artistes Indépendants, Salon du Vieux-Port, Croisettes, Cannes (France)
- 25-28 May 2017, Senlis Art Fair 2017, Eglise Saint Pierre, Senlis (France)
- 15-20 May 2017, French-Japanese Exhibition of Contemporary Art, Galerie beauté du matin calme- Galerie K, Kyobashi Point BD 3-9-7 Kyobashi 104-0031 chuo-ku, Tokyo (Japan)
- 6 -25 March 2017, La féminité en vogue, Collective of international artists, Galerie Double S, Patronage laique Jules Vallès, 72 avenue Félix Faure, 75015 Paris. (link)
- 19-30 January 2017, Galerie beauté du matin calme, 54 avenue de la Motte-Picquet, 75015 Parigi
- 9-13 November 2016, Palazzo Reale, Milano, nell’ambito del esposizione relativa al Premio ARTE 2016,
- 26 October-13 November 2016, Galerie Kunstraub99, Aachener Strasse 1002, 50858 Cologne
- 5-11 October 2016, Séoul, Gallery Lee Séoul, Séoul 23-2 Insa-dong, jongno-gu Corée du
- 1-10 October 2106, Séoul, 8 street Gallery Séoul, 42-139 Hoegi-dong Corée du Sud
- 31 August-6 September 2016, Paris contra New York, New York Space in Art (SIA) Gallery, 511 W 20th Street, NY
- 12 August-12 September 2016, 醉心 梦幻 意象——文化“混血”中的欧洲现当代架上艺术展, le songe et l’impression, mostra di pittura ad olio di artisti europei, Musée du Groupe Zhongxin Guoan, Pékin, Chine
- 22-26 July 2016, Down and out in Paris and London, 5TH BASE GALLERY, 23 Heneage st. Londra
- June 6th, 2016, European modern and contemporary art exhibition, La cultura ibrida, Double S Independent Art Center,18 Dashiqiao Hutong, Jiu Gulou Dajie, Xicheng District, Pékin 100009, Cina
- 12-22 May 2016, exposition collective franco-coreéenne, Galerie beauté du matin calme, 54 avenue de la Motte-Picquet, 75015 Parigi
- MIami River Art Fair, 3-5 December 2018
- Salon des Artistes Indépendants, ART CAPITAL, 14-18 February 2018, Grand Palais Paris
- Art Shopping (XX edition) 20-22 October 2017, Carrousel du Louvre, Paris
- Salon des Beaux Arts 2017, 7-10 December, Salles du Carrousel du Louvre, Paris
- Salon des Artistes Indépendants, ART CAPITAL, 15-19 February 2017, Grand Palais Parigi
- Salon d’Automne 2016, 13-16 October 2016, avenue des Champs-Elysées, 75008 Parigi
- Salon des Artistes Indépendants, ART CAPITAL, 24-29 November 2015, Grand Palais Paris.
- The ARTBOX.PROJECT, New York 1.0 , Armory Artweeks, 5-16 March 2018, the Stricoff Gallery 564W. 25th Street, New York, NY10001
- The ARTBOX.PROJECTS, Basel 1.0, Art Basel Fair, 14-18 June 2017, Basel (Switzerland).
- Portraits d’artists -Rossella Rossi – Retour aux Sources, AVM’S,Art Vision Monde, Art Magasine, (# 3 September 2015), pag.33-37.
- Report on the exhibition la memoria dell’acqua October 2015 – ArtDirectoryTGCOM24- by Gianni Ettore Andrea Marussi.
- European modern and contemporary art exhibition, La culture hybride, Pékin Art Center, 7-06-2016. link to article
- Publication of Rencontres in Rivista ARTE, December 2016 pag. 52.
- Publication of Rencontres in Catalogo dell’Arte Moderna – Gli Artisti del Primo Novecento ad Oggi– vol 52 (Giorgio Mondadori Editore), pag.86.